Saturday, January 12, 2008

Greatest compliment I've ever received in my life

Yesterday was a fantastic day in my life, easily the best of 2008 so far. Not only did I go to see Carmen again, but also...

My roommates and I went to a Friday night service at Solid Rock Church in Beavertron. The service is intended for 18--28 year olds, meaning I'm in a constant state of "I hope they don't check IDs." Turns out, one of the 18-28 year olds was a kid I taught public speaking to last spring. When I approached him, he responded with the greatest compliment I've been paid in my entire life --

"I knew it! I knew you were a Christian! I could tell...I always wanted to go in and ask you where you went to church and never did."

When asked how he knew -- and keep in mind this was completely unsolicited -- he said he could just tell, that there was something about the way I taught and talked to people...he could just see the love in Christ in me.

I mean...For someone like me, whose instinct is ordinarily crack jokes first, care about people later, it is SO AWESOME to learn how the love of Jesus found its way to present itself THROUGH ME in the classroom. Really, I couldn't be happier.

Mark Twain once said he could live for two months off a good compliment. I'm planning on living the rest of my life off of this one. PTL*, my friends, PTL.

*Praise The Lord

1 comment: