Tuesday, January 27, 2009

It's snowing in Portland again

As people in Portland aren’t used to the snow, they tend to not like it (note: using this logic, they wouldn’t like deodorant, either). Being from the Northeast, with childhood memories steeped in snowball fights, sledding and cold, I love it. It’s pretty much the most beautiful thing in the world.

So as I sat on I-405 this AM, traffic snarled, I didn’t really mind. In the distance…well, I couldn’t really see in the distance. There was just whiteness around me – the whiteness of snow, the whiteness of snow-fog (pretty sure that’s the technical term for it). Stuck on 405, nothing to do but look out the windows, I was reminded how God wants us to live our lives slower, trusting in Him, resting in Him, not trying to control everything, not trying to mentally coerce the other cars to get out of the way. That’s a reminder I need pretty much every day.

“In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength.” – Isaiah 30:15

No comments: