Sunday, February 3, 2008

The disciples' 401k plan

What occurred to me today: all of my planning about investing, 401k and such is based on the assumption that I live to an old age. Thing is, this might not be true. Look at the disciples. Only one of them lived more than a few years after meeting Jesus. But do you really think they would trade in that experience for the vested interest on their 401k? Heck no!

While we're not alive at the same time as Jesus -- not yet anyway -- our attitude needs to be the same: experiencing Him comes first. We cannot allow our love of money to alter our remembrance of that truth! If our security is truly in Christ rather than in a bank account, we should know to first listen to Him. He might not be telling you to invest your money. Maybe He wants you to spend it traveling, telling others of His greatness. Maybe He wants you to donate your money to a specific charity. Regardless, the point is to listen to Him! Like the disciples, you might not be cut out for a long life, either. That Roth IRA does nothing for you if your life ends in the near future.

(Technically I guess it could benefit a family member. But you know what I mean)

1 comment:

annie skroski said...

What really resonated with me from the sermon Sunday was the verse on where our treasure is, there our hearts will be also. If I'm putting my money towards financial security, not stretching what I'm giving to other people, the church, etc. who truly need it then not only am I not being sacrificial in my giving and I'm not really trusting God, but I'm stocking up my "treasure" here and in the bank.
Your post reminded me of my Dad's experience after he became permanently disabled and lost a lot of the retirement investments he had because he couldn't work up to retirement age. While I don't think he shouldn't have planned and saved, it just validates that we don't know what will happen and when despite our "safe" choices. And yet, God has completely provided for my family. I try to find the "treasure" as the relationship I'm still able to have with my family, not any financial stability.

I think there is a fine balance between being too safe and secure financially and going the other extreme. I've had friends who refused to get any kind of insurance because they didn't see it as trusting in God. I think some security is good as long as we're not trying to control everything ourselves, since we clearly can't.