Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Less people, more Bible

In a bizarre sequence of events, I wound up on the phone last night with this guy Eric. I didn’t – and still don’t – know the man but he got my number from the Imago website and suddenly we were chatting for 42 minutes at 10:30 at night.

Without going into too much detail, I’ll tell you that Eric is pretty freaking bitter towards Christianity. He’s obviously been burned by Christians before – I believe his quote was “I don’t know how you can associate yourself with other Christians” – and isn’t too fond of preachers either (“All preachers are crooks”). It stinks to hear someone say these things.

This was hardly the first time I’d heard complaints like these. Notice anything about Eric’s complaints? They were about people. They were not about Jesus. That’s quite a difference. People will disappoint you. Jesus will not.

Even once we become Christians, we need to remember this. Instead of continually being tied down in what my Christian friend thinks or what s/he advises me to do, we need to consult God. As my friend Josh says, we need to focus more on the Bible and less on people.

No comments: