Sunday, May 11, 2008

Worship and why


I've written something similar to this before, but it bears repeating:

From birth I've been a "why" person. I think it was like my third word, and I've never really outgrown it. Remember how you used to ask your parents "why does ___ happen?" I still do that. The mindset never left me.

To be clear, everyone is looking for meaning at some point. But other types of people also wonder "how?" (as in how the process works), "what?" (what can be done) and so on. Those questions never concerned me. I just want to know why. Give me meaning or give me death.

I was thinking about this in regards to worship recently. I'm not sure if there's a specific definition of worship outlined anywhere in the Bible, but I'd imagine it's something along the lines of looking past yourself, focusing on Him and saying thank you. It's totally submitting yourself to God. To me, then, a large part of worshipping is removing my penchant for asking why, submitting to His will and simply accepting events without the need for meaning.

No comments: